Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Do not play with landmines.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So, here's the reason that I haven't really been posting anything. I haven't really been doing anything. I was on my way from Laos back down to Bangkok and decided to spend one day at the bordertown of Nong Khai. Well, one day turned into twelve. The thing is I'm not the only person who's gotten stuck here. The first day I was here I met Aleta and Justin who'd both been here five days, and also Nick who had been there one day and was recovering from dengue fever. Aleta had a legit reason in that she had lost her passport but Justin was just hanging out and Justin was also getting over being sick. So, the first day I was here Aleta and Justin filled Nick and I in on all the freaks in Nong Khai and, yes indeed, they infest this place. Not the people staying in the guesthouse or the Thai locals but the ex-pats are pretty much off the hook. Pretty much every bar here is a bar with working girls and the dudes that hang out there...man. One guy, who was enormously fat and bald, seemed nice at first until another guy came in and they started having a long conversation about ladyboys and included that fat guy talking about how he'd gone down to the coast with two girls and two ladyboys and some speed and had a four day orgy. You get the idea.

Anyway, Aleta left the day after I'd been exposed to this but Justin and Nick stayed on and I kept thinking about leaving but just never did. It was the first time on the trip that I really looked forward to talking to the other travelers around. The owner of the guesthouse, Julian, is very smart and there are just interesting people always lurking around including one guy who is helping to decipher the honeybee genome. Anyway, after five days of pretty much sitting around and shooting the shit, Justin is still here (11 days), Nick is still here (got offered a job and now works at the guesthouse) and I have decided to take a seven day intensive yoga course. Today is day two and it's going alright I suppose. I sure don't have any balance.

So, that's the update.

And also going straight down memory lane.

I'll be heading to Phenom Penh on Aug 10th and I can't imagine that there won't be some insanity to report from there.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hutch? Wow dude.

If you don't leave on the 10th, does that make you an ex-pat wingnut too? And can I come visit? Something about that four day orgy has got me thinking.

Fucknut has still not sent any money. JJ.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture is great!
And honeybees are cute.
Yoga? WHAT'S GOTTEN INTO YOU??

3:42 PM  
Blogger Reynolds said...

I guess yoga is officially over now.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I'm not sure why this didn't spell check correctly. I'll have to fix that. The whole "copywriting" part makes the whole post like a big Madlib.

2. The worst part about the yoga is that a few people around here have done it, some of them twice. And they, OH MY GOD LOVED IT. So, everytime I see them they ask me how it is and I say "It's alright. I certainly needed some excercise, you know?" and they just look disappointed that I'm not overflowing. However, apparently day four is the one that really blows your mind so I'll let you know.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home