Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I left Chengdu a few days ago and am now in Kunming. There isn't a whole lot going on in Kunming but due to weird Chinese transportation stuff it was cheaper for me to come here than it would have been for me to go directly to Hainan.

The last day I was in Chengdu the owner of the guesthouse took about ten of us out to Cantonese food at one of his favorite restaurants. He asked if we were interested in eating turtle which we weren't but brought up the conversation I know you've been a part of where someone says "It's really so arbitrary what we decide to eat and what we won't eat!" and everyone nods and says "Very true." and "Oh yes!" as if this is the smartest thing anyone's ever said. I mentioned that I was fine with being arbitrarily not ok with eating duck's brains out of the skull. Then for some reason the conversation went on to cannibalism and how one of the people at the table couldn't understand that if you were in that sort of lost in the Andes and had to eat your wife situation how anyone would hesitate. I don't get this. I mean, yeah, if I were starving to death then I would probably eat whomever but I don't think it would necessarily be all that easy to just cook up somebody up without at least a little feeling of "Oh, well, we were such good friends." and I could certainly understand how someone might not want to do it. Anyway, the meal was free which was nice and also really good although the pig's feet were way to gingery for my taste.

So, I flew to Kunming since it was either 18 hours/ 32 dollars for the train or 1 1/2 hour and 44 dollars for a plane. I'm off to watch the World Cup with two young women who just graduated from college that I met in this restaurant and who are pretty open about pretty much everything. So I heard a lot about one's parents's open marriage and how her ex-boyfriend is on dialysis after recovering from his coke addiction etc... Anyway, should be an interesting evening. They were off for malaria drugs and facials the last I saw of them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Steel said...

Man. Good luck.

Anyway, the meal was free which was nice and also really good although the pig's feet were way to gingery for my taste

Should that be "feety"?

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long would it take before you'd eat me?

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long would it take before you'd eat Sterling? Would you even wait until he was dead?

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home