Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Today is my last day in China. And so this is a wrap up of China posting. Just to get the odds and ends out before I head of to Thailand. I had the opportunity to take a two week English teaching job here but it didn't start until the tenth and I wasn't all that into three more weeks in China. Feeling the need to move on.

1. I was approached two times today with the teahouse scam by different groups of young and friendly Chinese people.

2. Did I write about the dental office I saw where there was huge glass window and you could actually look in and see someone getting dental work? Well, I thought that was weird until I saw the same thing with a vet's clinic. I saw a dog on an IV!

3. There is this weird unfinished looking European castle thing on the way to see the Great Wall. It looks like it was going to be an amusement park that was never finished. I can't find any information on it. As we were driving to the wall, the woman who drove me pointed at it and said "beautiful" which isn't really true unless you find the kind of things that show up in Weird NJ beautiful.

4. In Shanghai boxy glasses with a reddish tint to the frames are way in. It makes all the women look like they are receptionists at art galleries.

5. I might have mentioned this one before: short shorts are all the rage in China.

6. I had never seen a child take a shit on a newspaper outside of his or her parent's store before China.

Bangkok here I come.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Legs said...

yeah, get outta there before you eat any more grubs, break any more teeth or get scammed again. i'm sure there will be short-shorts in your future in thailand anyway.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

I CAN COMMENT ON MY OWN BLOG NOW!!!

Very exciting.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Yeah, not so many short shorts yet.

3:06 AM  
Blogger beckler said...

Short shorts? Just like here in Davis where I work. Are there things written in Chinese characters on the butt? I would have guessed that people were way modest there.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Karl Steel said...

I kept seeing 'short shorts' as the literary genre (like, a really really short story. A paragraph maybe), and I thought: that's a weird thing to remark on. I hear they're really into limericks in Thailand.

And then I got it.

And I felt, uh, scammed. Try not to break any more teeth.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home